Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Biria oddball Mountain Bike

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bik/3807485187.html
Rare German Titanium/Aluminum Mt Bike - $175 (Northfield)



I received this 'mostly titanium' Biria bike as payment for a plane ticket I purchased to go do work for a sports company in Germany. They gave me pick of the litter in compensation for my ticket price, which was back in 1993. I packed it up and brought it home when my internship was up in 1994. I put many miles on the bike the first 10 years, then very few after that as I moved to a road bike. I pulled the bike out last winter and cleaned it up. I replaced the bottom bracket, chain and gear cluster. The reality is that the bike was always too small from me, and I just don't ride it. I thought about turning it into a single speed as it is a very unique frame, but again, it's just too small for me.

So, I'm offering it to you. This is your opportunity to own a one of a kind bike.

The tubes are titanium lugged with aluminum. Components are Deore LX (Grip Shift). Original fork replaced with a Rock Shock (Judy??). The oxidation on the titanium tubes have been there since year three. Here are the measurements (all measured center to center). . .

Down tube = 65cm
Top tube = 57cm
Seat post = 45cm (center of crank to top of seat post tube = 50cm)
Chain stay = 44.5cm
Crank = 170 mm

Peddles not included


I love this dude's story.  This is a weird ass bike.  It's not uncommon to mix frame materials for example Columbus' Tre Tubi and Formula 1 and 2 are just nice ways of saying 'mixed up tubes.'  The earliest carbon fiber frames were also built with aluminum lugs.  It's just strange to see a model that calls so much attention to it.  It makes the bike look like it's made of lego.  I'm also of the opinion that when you're dealing with new technology that vintage might be more of a detracting quality.  It's not so expensive and if you're a real mountain biking enthusiast this could be an odd little duck to have around.  Biria is still kicking, specializing in the urban market.  They make a step through model you barely have to lift your foot to get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment